South Fox Island Needs Your Help - Quickly Please
Tell legislators to 'Stop The Swap'
February 11, 2003 | By Jim Lively
Great Lakes Bulletin News Service
South Fox Island dunes are a haven for threatened Pitcher's Thistle.
Citizen opposition has already succeeded in preserving 400-plus acres of public lands on the island that include the historic lighthouse, endangered piping plover habitat, and the tribal cemetery. In addition, public outcry stopped a proposed road through state-designated critical sand dunes. But we still need your voice to finish the job.
The groups opposed to the swap include:
- Michigan Land Use Institute
- Traverse Group of the Sierra Club
- Northern Michigan Environmental Action Council
- Grand Traverse Audubon Club
- South Fox Island Public Hunters Club
- Michigan Conservation Foundation
- Michigan Environmental Council
- Michigan United Conservation Clubs
For more information please contact:
Michigan Land Use Institute
Traverse Group of the Sierra Club
Northern Michigan Environmental Action Council