The Regional Rider: Commuter Rhymes Edition
Smart Commute Week is coming soon
Regional Rider | May 17, 2013 | By James Bruckbauer
The Regional Rider is a monthly update that highlights the efforts to coordinate transit service in the six-county Grand Vision region. It’s published by the Michigan Land Use Institute’s transportation policy specialist, James Bruckbauer. For feedback, or to receive an emailed version every month, contact James at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter at @jimbruckb.
- Pete Farmer: Nice to read about the big picture of music around here. I am sure the scene will only get bigger as TC grows. We plan on helping in our own little way with a small venue at our workshop. All procee...
- Pat Weber: The music tradition in Traverse City begins in its schools- the feeder system as it were. Traverse City Area Public Schools has had a long and rich music legacy in both vocal and instrumental instruct...
- Mario: Great article Hans Well written and an important message....
- Cory Johnston: Your reasons to vote NO are reason enough for me. This is 1960's mentality being used to fix 2015 and beyond problems. While mentioned, is there any guarantee that alternatives to one driver/one car w...
- Gerald Wilgus: Much of this is disingenuous rationalization in support of a "lesser of two evils" argument. This is how privatizing profit and socializing risk is maintained. We all agree that transportation inf...
It's time for bikes and buses 'cause the weather's gettin' warmer.
The 19th Annual Smart Commute Week is just around the corner!
Have you signed up for the Commuter Challenge? If not, take a minute and sign up today. Registration deadline is at the end of May.
There are lots of events that week that you don't want to miss: commuter breakfasts; Monday's documentary called Aftermass; Try Transit Day; and, of course, the Getting Transportation To Work Commuter Summit on Tuesday, June 4.
Northwest Michigan transit in action
Who's up for some really 'wonky' transit policy stuff? Smart Growth America and Current Transportation drafted the first white paper on mobility management for the Grand Traverse area. It's filled with ideas that could help our transit agencies coordinate their services across the six-county region. The paper describes ways to share fares, share dispatch services, and collaborate to raise money. It pulls from other models around the country. Talk about great weekend reading!
► May 23 at 4 p.m. - Grand Vision Transit Subcommittee at the BATA Hall St. Transfer Center (115 Hall St., Traverse City, MI)
► May 29 at 9 a.m. - Bay Area Transportation Authority Board Meeting at the BATA Hall Street Transfer Station (115 Hall St., Traverse City, MI)
► June 3-7 - The 19th Annual TART Trails Smart Commute Week
► June 12 at 12 p.m. - Benzie Bus Board Meeting at the Benzie Bus Headquarters (14150 U.S. 31, Beulah, MI)
Our chamber's, Luciani, calls for 'transportation options'.
Buses, trails, and sidewalks make quite a strong concoction.
See you on the bus!
1407 days ago, 2:28pm | by James Bruckbauer | Report Comment
I'm thinking about quitting my job and becoming a poet.